Saturday, September 20, 2008

Salt, Please!

How many of you like the taste of salt? I think it would be safe to say that most everyone enjoys the flavor of salt. I know there are some people with high blood pressure who may no longer get to safely enjoy the flavor of salt and have to use salt substitutes or no salt at all. For those who can’t have salt right now, I just have to ask you to remember back when you could enjoy salt on your food.
I was at Old Country Buffet with a friend of mine this morning and I had a plate full of potatoes with green and red pepper and onions mixed together. It had some taste but it wasn’t “popping’” with flavor, so I added salt. My friend said, “Oh my, look at all the salt you put on those potatoes.” I nicely looked at him and said, “Without salt these potatoes have no real distinct flavor, if there were no salt I wouldn’t eat them.” This made me think about what the scripture says in Matthew 5:13, Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt has lost his savor, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. In other words…if we are to be the flavor or savor, the seasoning in this world but we rather be a salt substitute (someone who acts like a Christian, or a person who is just by nature a somewhat nice person) then we have lost our flavor. It is no wonder Christians are not impacting the world, it is no wonder churches have lost their impact in their communities, it’s no wonder our families are falling apart like those in the world, it’s no wonder why Christian divorce rate is equal to the worlds divorce rate.
I want to shake things up at bit today…yes, pun intended. I ask you--where is the salt? Are you the salt or the substitute? Will you stand up and be counted in the kingdom or are you afraid that you just might give someone high blood pressure in the name of Jesus for mentioning your association to Him. Let’s repent for our lack of godly flavor, for our complacency, for our compromise, for denying Christ through keeping our mouths shut when for the sake of Christ we should open them and boldly proclaim the Word of God. Let’s no longer stand idly by and watch people we pass and come in contact with walk out of our presence without introducing them to the One we call our Savior--to God.

For more about HE Reigns Ministries or to sign up for the newsletter, visit: www.hereignsministries.org